How to Wear a Tulle Skirts. Let’s talk about tulle skirts, shall we? First of all, what is tulle? Tulle is a very sheer, lightweight, fine netting material generally made from fibers that include nylon, silk, rayon or polyester. Tulle is most commonly used for wedding gowns, veils, dresses, and skirts.
Many women love the floaty, fairytale effect of tulle. When styled the right way, a tulle skirt is an easy way to tap into your innate femininity and indulge your whimsical side. However, you do not have to go all Cinderella in order to pull off this particular piece of “finery.” No, ma’am. As with most pieces, there is always a way to add your own twist of personal style to get the look you are going for. Whether that is a street style look, a funky ensemble, or a formal outfit, a tulle skirt has proved itself time and time again as a very versatile and underrated article of clothing.
How to Wear a Tulle Skirt
Let’s start by discussing some simple tips on how to wear a tulle skirt.
- Find the style that best suits your figure. As with any skirt, tulle skirts come in many shapes and sizes. Experiment with styles that you know will flatter your particular figure. A “poufy” voluminous type of skirt may flatter you if you are tall and willowy. A structured A-line may work best for someone who is smaller and curvier.
- Choose a flattering length. Again, this will boil down to your figure, height, and size. But a fail-safe length is at the knee or just below it. A petite girl might go a little shorter or just above the knee.
- Determine your vision. Are you going for a whimsical Disney-princess style look? Or are you blending the best of both worlds: ultra-girly with ultra-edgy? Knowing your vision for your tulle skirt look will help you actually decide on a tulle skirt! So keep your final look in mind when picking out the tulle skirt that was meant for you.
- Balance your skirt with a fitted top. A basic law of style is that when wearing voluminous or material-centric pieces on the lower half of your body, you balance it out with a fitted (less material) piece on top. This keeps your overall appearance visually balanced and symmetrical. This especially applies to things like a tulle skirt. So don’t wear a baggy shirt or blouse when wearing this style of skirt or you will overwhelm your figure.
- Cinch your skirt at the smallest part of your waist. Tulle skirts are not usually worn at the hips. Due to their nature, these gorgeous little numbers are best worn cinched at the waist, giving your figure (and skirt!) the full range of impressibility. In the same token, these skirts look best with a tucked-in top.
- Be mindful of the occasion. If you are thinking of wearing your tulle skirt to the office, you might do so only under particular conditions. Will you be presenting that day? Do you have a boardroom meeting? A tulle skirt may not be appropriate in these cases. Save your favorite skirt for a holiday party or social affair. Or, if you are dead-set on wearing it to the office, opt for a tulle skirt that is structured, less layered, and of an appropriate color and length.
Frequently Asked Questions about Tulle Skirts
Can you wear a tulle skirt for a wedding?
Yes! But keep a few things in mind. One, wedding dress skirts are often made of tulle. So definitely avoid a full-length (or maxi) skirt in order to avoid appearing too bridal. (We are assuming you are a wedding guest asking this question.) Secondly, you will want to stay away from whites, creams, or ivory tones of skirts. Even blush may be too close to a bridal color and no one wants to outshine the bride!
What do you wear with a tulle skirt?
We are about to show you several different options for pieces you can pair with your tulle skirt but here are some quick and fast ideas to pull from:
- A fitted top, a denim jacket, and sandals.
- A graphic tee, a fedora hat, and combat boots or Doc Martens.
- A camisole, hair scarf, and high heels.
- A fitted button-down blouse, vintage cat-eye sunglasses, hair scarf, and kitten heels.
- A black longsleeved bodysuit, pumps, and wide-brimmed hat.
What shoes go with a tulle skirt?
You may be surprised to learn that you can make most shoes work with tulle skirts. You might need to do a little bit of experimenting, such as with the length of the skirt in coordination with your shoes, or even the type of tulle skirt (an A-line versus a poufy one, midi versus maxi, etc.) but have fun with it. You can wear boots, sandals, heels, and flats. You could even try a sneaker if going for a playful look. Some examples of shoes to avoid would be flip flops, Crocs, and knee-high boots.
How to layer tulle skirts?
Both sweaters and denim jackets are the best items to layer your tulle skirt outfits with.
↓ 16. Semi-Casual Polka Dot Tulle and Flats
Right off the bat, you can see the versatility of the tulle skirt! This is a great look for a mom making a coffee run or grabbing lunch with a best friend. You can feel girly but still understated by throwing on your favorite graphic or logo tee and tucking it in a midi tulle skirt, finishing off the look with a bold lip and a pair of loafers! Super easy and super cute. If you like polka dots, you’ll love our collection of these Polka Dot Outfits.
Get the outfit at the links below!
J. Crew Edie Leather Loafers
↓ 15. Edgy in Leather Jacket & Graphic Tee
As every true fashionista can attest, a quality leather jacket goes a long way in spicing up an outfit: even the unlikely pairing of tulle skirt and graphic tee! But with a look this fun, can you really go wrong? We don’t think so.
For this outfit, you will get yourself a white tulle skirt that falls just below the knee. Remember to cinch at the waist. You can coordinate your belt with your necklace, as this lovely lady has done. Tuck in a graphic tee and pop on a well-structured leather jacket. And have fun with your accessories! Round bottle-cap sunglasses look ultra-chic with a high bun, blue clutch, Barbie pink lipstick, and white stud earrings. Here are some more Graphic Tee Outfits.
This is a great option for going to a concert!
↓ 14. Cute & Feminine Tulle with Denim Jacket
Our last look featured a white tulle skirt and so does this one. That’s because we wanted to show you the different ways you can style a nearly identical skirt. This outfit is girly and cute and would look great as a church outfit or for heading to a ladies’ brunch.
Start with a black top tucked into your skirt. Add a denim jacket and roll up the sleeves to visually balance an excess of fabric. Accessorize with a statement necklace, sunglasses, and a pop-of-color red handbag. For this look, opt for black strappy heels. You can alternatively wear ballet flats with this ensemble.
↓ 13. Net Turtleneck & Spaghetti Strap Top
We are obsessed with this look and hope you will be, too!
This is a stunning outfit for a high-end event that is sure to make you the star of the night. Start with a black spaghetti strap top and tuck it into your bronze tulle skirt. Note the length, and that the underskirt is white and a few inches shorter than the outer layers. The pièce de résistance is a tie between the lovely net turtleneck and the thick rose-bedecked belt. For this outfit, wear black pumps and style your hair in a side pony or long, loose curls. No accessories are necessary!
↓ 12. Country Girl Style Tulle & Plaid
Here is another unlikely but adorable pairing we love. Tuck a plaid skirt into a purple tulle skirt cinched at the waist with a thin belt. Add a beaded necklace and leopard print heels for some spice! Let your hair loose and add a bold lip color. This is a cute party look, both indoor and outdoor!
↓ 11. Teal Skirt & Animal Print Belt
Here is a simple look, great for a birthday party, a leisurely walk around a museum, or an indoor concert. Pair a plain black, long-sleeved top with a brightly colored tulle skirt like this teal one. Add an animal print belt, a clutch, and matching heels.
↓ 10. Mini Tulle Skirt & Ankle Boots
We love this understated approach to the tulle skirt. If you aren’t quite ready to make as big of a splash with a longer one, this mini skirt option could be just the right thing for you. This is great for heading to the mall, having lunch with your friends, or even a date!
Pair your mini black tulle skirt with a light wash jean jacket (note the black buttons that correspond well with the lower half of the outfit), sheer black tights, and heeled boots. Let your hair down and style in loose waves! Here are more ideas on how to wear Mini skirts.
↓ 9. Sophisticated Lavender Tulle and Two-Toned Pumps
We love this beautiful and classy look, great for a date or semi-formal event. Start with a neutral top (remember, fitted!) and tuck into a lavender-colored tulle skirt. Add two-toned cream pumps and a clutch.
↓ 8. Polka Dot Top and Black Skirt
Polka dots can be tricky to dress up with but this black and white shirt goes very well with a black skirt and a golden plate at the center. You can wear metallic shoes for extra oomph or these simple sandals.
↓ 7. Lovely Neutral Tones for Photoshoot
Next time you and your friends want to get together for an impromptu photoshoot, consider this ensemble! This lovely bishop-style sleeved top is tucked into a white tulle skirt and paired with metallic style heels.
↓ 6. Evening Dinner Look
This above-the-knee shiny, murky green skirt is such an eye-catching piece! With a skirt like that, this lady kept it simple with a black long-sleeved top and simple heels. A bold lip, curled hair, and long earrings tie the whole thing together.
↓ 5. Cropped Top and Statement Heels
This is a look for the serious fashionistas! The cropped top is a great alternative to tucking a regular top in so go ahead and give it a whirl. Pair with a super layered tulle skirt and get yourself a pair of knockout statement heels. These feature giant bows on the ankles and look great with gold cuff bracelets and sunglasses.
↓ 4. Cute, Cozy Fall Look
We think this is just the most perfect coffee date/fall look there is! It’s girly without being over the top and it lets you indulge in a bit of whimsy as well as elegance. A bun and stud earrings give a classy twist and that lovely green bag gives the ensemble a vintage vibe!
↓ 3. Red Leather Jacket and Pleated Tulle Skirt
This is a great outfit for touring a new city, hitting up a museum, or grabbing lunch with a loved one. Tuck a black camisole into a high-waist pleated tulle skirt and pop on some black ankle boots. Accessorize with earrings and a handbag.
↓ 2. Leather Jackets, Platform Boots, and Pink Tulle!
Calling all the besties! Here are two perfect looks for you to wear today.
We love the contrast of the black platform boots and leather jackets with fluffy, cotton-candy pink skirts. Note the accessories, which are understated and yet keep in perfect theme with the rest of the ensemble.
↓ 1. Black Camisole and Layered Tulle
For our final look, here is a simple but highly stylish look that is super easy to put together. Start with a scalloped camisole tucked into a layered black tulle skirt. We especially love the elastic band which highlights the waist and keeps everything in place. Some pop-of-color heels add flair, and look gorgeous when paired with a stunning pair of sunglasses and statement earrings.
Love the outfit? Get yours at the links below:
J. Crew Scalloped Mini Top $54.50
Manolo Blahnik Heel
R.H. Elias is a freelance writer, aspiring author, and freelance transcriptionist. She is a homebody all the way and loves curling up on a cold, rainy day with a good book and a warm cup of tea. Her favourite pastimes include reading, writing, and watching period films. She currently lives in Puerto Rico.