2022 Outfit Trends For Men. It has been a while since we last saw an actual fashion show. But now that things are slowly getting back to normal (I guess), runways would be a thing once more. That said, you can expect showgoers to explore various trends by mixing and matching their outfits – and trying out new accessories.
Men in the entertainment industry have their tuxes and suits in times they need them most. But what about less formal events? That is where the trends make their way in. It is evident that through the years, we have seen a lot of changes – for better or worse.
The billion-dollar question now is, What are the trends we can see in 2022 that will stay? One thing I know for certain: be it vibrant hues and fancy cuts, they should be anything but boring. Vogue said that after a few months wrapped in sweatpants because of quarantine, we’re now about to see brand new silhouettes.
What Are The Latest Fashion Trends Of 2022 For Men?
What do we consider a trend?
When you hear the word trend, you may think that it’s something that only models and celebrities have. But let’s end the stigma once and for all. I mean, I can wear an oversized shirt for a day and call it a trend all year long. A fashion trend isn’t limited to what you can see in Paris or New York Fashion Week.
With the ever-expanding number of human wants, it’s quite easy to regard to anything new to your eyes as a trend. However, in fashion, that’s not always the case. A trend tends to be expensive. Personally, I consider something a trend if it is…
- Pinterest-worthy. This platform has always been our one-stop shop for fashion and lifestyle inspiration. It’s pretty convenient to search for what’s in with fashion this year. But how do you filter what’s worth investing from what’s not? Read the next one.
- Celebrity-oriented. In any event, they would be the first to promote it. Get some inspiration from your favorite actors, bloggers and models. You don’t have to wear the most expensive brands like they do, but you can at least borrow their style.
- Instagrammable. Feed goals is life! Yeah, I know – this isn’t the first time you’ve heard of it. Well, you can say that an outfit is aesthetic if it looks good as an IG picture. You can follow the people that are a source of style inspo. As for me, I regularly check posts of Next In Fashion runner-up, Daniel W. Fletcher.
- TikTok material. Take advantage of the site’s popularity. Not only style influencers can do it. TikTok videos have been a creative mean to find and express your aesthetic.
What Do The Men’s Fashion Experts Say?
Clearly, not just teenagers and young adults can don the latest trends. Kidcore is a fad referring to adult men channeling their “tweenage” years with rather modernized outfits.
Meanwhile, you might have heard of “minimalism” but wait until we talk about “maximalism.” By definition, it is the aesthetic of excess. This is common in fashion especially among people who make the most out of everything. If you are a maximalist, you aim to own as many outfits as possible. This seems to be a thing in 2022. Alex Costa would agree with me.
Tips to Remember in 2022:
- Be Inspired. This is hard to find in these strange times. However, what you can do is to borrow (if not copy) some ideas from your favorite models and bloggers. You might find yourself frustrated when you fail to ahieve the style 100% and that’s fine. Don’t beat yourself up!
- Balance Is King. More often than not, you will find yourself lost in between the choices of what you want to wear and what the world want to see. Strike a balance between stylish and age-appropriate?
What To Avoid Wearing in 2022?
- Being So Random. I know that for the past few months, the quarantine has influenced us to wear anything we find easy and practical. But this is the last thing you want to do now that you want to look stylish enough and in-vouge this year. Always plan your outfits.
- Comparison. Influencers should be your inspiration. They shouldn’t be the cause of your dissatisfaction. That said, avoid comparing yourself to them.
Trends That Must Go In 2022:
- Nail Polish. Women are so into this, and so are the men. It’s good to have pampered nails, but please don’t have them colored. Celebrities can be really influential at times, but this is something you should spare.
- Socks With Sandals. Wearing a mismatch isn’t that bad. But ask yourself: is this combo comfy and functional enough? I don’t think so – even for casual settings. Here are some tips on how you can go sockless with your outfits.
- Pajama Pants. We have been seeing a lot of people wear this at the airports and malls. Don’t wear them outside – just don’t. Leave them at home where they belong.
After consulting a few reliable sources including GQ and Vogue, here are some fashion trends you can wear in 2022:
25 – Dopamine Dressing
Fashion always been a great way to express how you feel. For instance, being in a good mood inspires us to wear bright colors and bold patterns.
24 – Checkerboard Prints
Not only Vans sneakers but knitwear, denim, handbags are on the rise this year.
23 – Mini-Me Fashion
This isn’t the first time you’ve heard of sized-down dressing. Now that it’s back to town, anticipate witnessing not only children but fur babies as well, in mini-me outfits, dressed by their millennial pet parents.
22 – How to Dress Goth in 2022?
Let’s give it to Kourtney and Travis Barker responsible for the goth fashion revival. Opt for latex, leather, spikes and skull prints. On top of that, you can look for leather coatings and some patches. Here are some more goth outfits for guys to take inspiration from.
21 – Humanwear
Have you seen Thom Browne’s men’s skirt? It was one of the most-searched items of 2021. They say fashion has no gender, and I could not agree more. In fact, forecasting firms like Fashion Snoops discuss humanwear as the future of fashion. Other brands also offer gender-neutral sizing for clothes, as well as unisex products.
20 – The Return of Hipsters
Y2K is in-vogue once again, but what about the era that came after that? Well, the style is here again so expect that we’ll be seeing a lot of these in 2022. Here’s our detailed guide on hipster fashion for men.
19 – Vintage Products
If you haven’t tried wearing clothes from a vintage store, you’ve been missing out a lot in life. A recent report from McKinsey & Company suggests that the luxury resale market will be seeing a yearly growth rate of 10-15% over the next ten years. For one, denim is a large part of this trend. Retailers like Denim and Levi’s are making sure of it.
18 – Y2K Fashion
This refers to everything fashion that came out in 2000s. Funny to think that we will be seeing a lot of these in 2022, but what can I say? To name a few, psychedelic prints are in-vogue again.
17 – Flared Trousers
Greet 2022 with a hint of the 70s. These pants have long been in the fashion scene. And because of their retro yet stylish appearance, it’s no surprise that they are now making a comeback.
16 – Varsity Jacket
Five years ago, trimmed down and tailored versions are what’s in. Today, you can look for wide and boxy cuts like what the varsities wore back in 1865 as attire for the Harvard Baseball Team. It has gone a lot of changes, from being a status symbol to a wardrobe staple. Do check out my post where I discuss in detail the different ways to style Varsity jackets for a cool look.
15 – Full-Placket Polo
Take advantage of the cardigan’s versatility. You can also try the bicep-popping hotness of sveltest polo.
14 – Best Accessories to Buy in 2022
Cool, unique and funky sunglasses will definitely be one of the best purchases that you can make this year.
13 – Vests
Contrary to what others think, vests aren’t weird. It doesn’t matter whether you opt for cable knit, pleated, or leather. As long as it’s a vest, you are in for an avant-garde look this year!
12 – Waffle Knit Thermals
Take your winter wear gaming to the next level with ’90s-inspired clothing.
11 – Silk Scarves
You think your outfit is rich enough? Wait until you put some eccentric effect to it. And a silk scarf can do the job for you. It has a quirky touch that can make your ensemble interesting enough. Style it in more than one way: looped around the waist, draped over your shoulder, or even worn as a mask.
10 – Velvet Outfit
This year is the time to opt for a smooth texture. Velvet outfits for men shine bright especially when hit by sunlight. It will give you that fibrous feel upon touch.
9 – Charm Necklace
Justin Bieber and Pete Davidson have been seen sporting this accessory.
8 – Pink Raf Simons Sweater
Washington Wizard Kyle Kuzma once wore this sweater with gigundo sleeves.
7 – Cartoony Crocs
6 – Statement Tops
Zoom meetings started the trend of people wanting to sport their favorite tops. This year, we’ll be seeing more of them in even fancier versions. This isn’t limited to virtual world but in real ones, instead.
5 – Wide Leg Pants
At some point in 2020, skinny jeans were considered outdated. Men tend to be choosy when it comes to pants. You have the leeway to opt for whatever makes you feel comfortable.
4 – Suits For All Occasions
Suits aren’t limited to what you wear at work. Formal events aside, consider your suits as something you can team up with sneakers and basic tees.
3 – Brand Collaborations
It will be the hallmark of the new millennium. Designer brands and designers themselves will make a noise in 2022. For instance, Fendi and Versace (Fendace) have already made it in 2021. It’s only a matter of time before we’ll be seeing more brands do so.
2 – Best Jackets to Buy in 2022
They haven’t gone rogue. In fact, we’d be seeing a lot of these in 2022. Here are all the different ways you can style a bomber jacket this year.
1 – Patches And Pins
Most people got bored during the quarantine, giving them the chance to look back at the things that made their childhood. For instance, most of us grew up reading comics or watching movies and TV shows. And fashion is a creative way to express how you love these things. Patches and pins will help you do it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the color of the year 2022?
A. Breezeway is the color of 2022. It’s an almost minty teal green with a cool and cheerful vibe. Don’t hold back from incorporating more green into your outfits. You can do it any day, not just on St. Patrick’s.
Q. What prints are in for 2022?
A. Psychedelic, tie-dye, floral and animal prints are all stylish prints for men to wear in 2022. Don’t limit your choices as there are lots of prints popping up every day. I guess you just have to be creative.
Q. What fashion trends are coming back?
A. Sweatpants, ripped denim and plaids were the trends of the past. But in case you haven’t heard, they are making a comeback this year so don’t think twice to have them at your disposal.
Q. Is the 70's style coming back?
A. Lately, I have been seeing a lot of celebrities and fashion enthusiasts in ’70s outfits. This is more common especially in summer when we see a lot of bright colors and patterns.
Q. What is SS22 in fashion?
A. SS22 is a collection of Christopher Kane’s nuances. The outfits always have a balance between masculine and feminine.
Q. What clothing styles are trending this year?
A.Color clashing, goth, and Y2K Fashion are just some of the trendy styles you can try in 2022.
Q. Where to shop for menswear in 2022?
A. Most influencers tag the brands/manufacturers on their posts. That said, it wouldn’t be too hard for you to look for them. Premium and luxury products might be expensive so instead, you can look for similar products somewhere else. Start browsing with online stores like Nordstrom and Amazon. Thrift stores are also a good alternative.
My Take On The Topic:
Trends are fun – no doubt. It’s always good idea to try something new for the sake of satisfaction and a sense of belongingness. However, you don’t have to spend beyond your means just to stay in-vogue. You can patronize local products including cheap, recycled clothes.
Waste products out of making clothes and accessories might pollute the environment, if not properly disposed off. And now that trends are sky-rocketing again, we can expect climate change to be rampant this year. Action must be taken to at least lessen, if not stop it.
Manufacturing companies need to be encouraged to use eco-friendly materials, and that’s just a start.