Formal Outfits for Men- Formal attire is often expected by employers to keep the office environment up to the dress code. However, nowadays, firms let their employees add a few pieces, which are often considered semi-formal, such as denim pants.
Most of the time, all you need is to pair a suit or tux aesthetically to look formal, not that complex. However, if you want to detail your ensemble, you will have to add a few accessories like a handkerchief or an enchanting brooch.
Formal Style Guide for Men
To dress right for formal occasions, first of all, there are a few silhouette rules that are to be followed strictly, which include:
- Give accurate measurements for the sake of perfect fitting.
- Your sleeves should neither be shorter nor longer than the bone of your wrist.
- While picking a shirt, make sure that your shoulder and arms are tension-free if you really desire to have a perfectly fitted shirt.
- When it comes to the ideal shoulder length, it should be such that the shoulder touches exactly the shoulder line’s end.
- While picking the appropriate length of the shirt, tuck it inside first and lift your arms to check if it is still in its place or not.
- For the ideal collar size, tuck two fingers inside to make sure that it is neither too tight nor too loose.
Following these few rules will make you a pro in shopping for formal garments.
For the sake of helping those men who love to dress all formal and orthodox, we have gathered some of the most dashing formal attire ideas which will make you look like a true gentleman. Here you can check some of the trendy ensembles, making it easy for you to follow the emerging fashion gurus. Also, you’ll get some chic ideas for accessorizing your formal haute couture this year.
↓ 30. What To Consider When Buying A New Suit
First impressions last. People will always judge you for your appearance. Formal outfits are not streetwear that you can style in any way you want. When dressing for work and formal events, you have to dress smart, which means baggy clothes are off the table; they make you look unprofessional. On top of that, keep yourself comfortable and stylish when wearing a suit with the following key pointers:
- Fit. You can determine if the suit is either too tight or too big for you by going up against a plain wall. The suit should make contact with the wall first before your shoulders. Another sign that you have the right fit is if you can comfortably cross your arms.
- Sleeves. They should fall somewhere between your wrist and the middle of your thumb and should not be longer than the undershirt’s sleeves. The fabric should drape the natural contour of your arms. The same rule applies to the pants. And for your own benefit, DO NOT button the bottom button – say that five times faster.
- The hem should touch the top of your shoes. You can always choose between cuffs and no-cuffs.
- Shoes. Invest in loafers, dress shoes, and/or leather. Choose neutral colors like brown and black – to match the color with most of your suits.
- Lapels. There are three variations – peak, notch, and shawl. The notch is the classic one, mostly worn even for casual and semi-formal events, while the peak is the flashy and the more formal one, and the shawl is the traditional one that is usually worn for formal and big events.
- Vents. There are three types – single, double, and no-vent. I would recommend the double-vent suits because they can cover your bottom even if you sit down.
- Undershirt. You can either wear a tee or a dress shirt underneath your suit. For T-shirts, they should not be longer than your suit.
- Tie. If you are wearing a tie, it should be within the color palette of your suit. Also, it should not go past your belt when you wear it. Try to accessorize with a tie bar – it comes in different shapes like an anchor.
- Pocket square. You can go for the conservative or four-point look.
- Accessories. You can elevate your ensemble with brooches, and just like tie bars, they come in several iconic designs, like a spider or a butterfly. If you’re wearing eyeglasses to aid your vision or even just to level up your statement, you should get the perfect sunglasses for your facial structure.
- No strong colognes when you are in the office; not everyone will like the scent you are wearing.
When buying suits, go for the multi-purpose ones, which you can wear to weddings, parties, and corporate events. Consider two things before buying: skin tone and the season. In winter, heavy fabric like wool and corduroy in earthy and navy tones are the best, while cotton and linen in bright colors are perfect for summer.
↓ 29. Plaid Suits
Plaids are best for short and plus-size men. They give an illusion for a guy to appear taller and slimmer.
↓ 28. Suits With Vests
If you’re not into formal wear as much as everyone else, you can make your outfit a little less formal by wearing a vest or waistcoat instead of a blazer. Make sure that it is the same color as your pants.
↓ 27. Wear A Suit Without A Tie
If you’re not planning on wearing a tie, choose a slim-fit button-down, at least, and make sure to tuck them in your trousers so they wouldn’t look lousy and unprofessional because, after all, you are still wearing a suit in a formal setting.
↓ 26. Fancy Suits In Formal Events
Explore different styles – show personality, but don’t go overboard. It’s okay to wear a fancy-looking suit in a formal event unless the authority says otherwise.
↓ 25. Suitable Shoes For Suits
Don’t let footwear ruin your style. Get the shoes with which you can walk and stand comfortably. Dress shoes are a standard option for suits. Black and brown should be your best options for a blue colored suit.
↓ 24. Unbutton The Blazer
You can let the coat open, and this fashion tip usually goes with the choice of not wearing a tie. Then again, the shirt should be tucked in at all times.
↓ 23. Formal Winter Wear
For the winter and fall seasons, wear a trench coat instead of a usual office blazer. Not only does it give you comfort and coziness, but it also adds up to your fashion statement. However, trench coats and peacoats are long overcoats, so I would not recommend them for short men.
↓ 22. Monochrome
Wear a peacoat with a turtleneck – a classic option for cold weather. And since you are wearing winter staples, you might as well finish off the look with some boots.
↓ 21. No Cuffs
Tailored fit chinos can be a substitute for trousers. In this case, white pants look good in a suit. If you are trying to maintain a sleek style and stick with the formal side of fashion, do not add cuffs to your chinos, and don’t wear socks. Show off some ankles with your loafers.
↓ 20. What Socks To Wear
Considering the latest trends, wear them with some no-show socks, or don’t wear any at all.
↓ 19- Formal Look with Cropped Pants
When we are talking about slaying cropped pants formally, then the first question that arises in one’s mind is: What should be the ideal length? It should be only half an inch shorter than your ankles.
For the sake of looking formal, you can wear cropped cotton pants with a cotton blazer in some dark shade and a pastel shirt or simple white shirt. However, cropped pants look the best with the bit or penny loafers as these are moccasin-inspired. Here are Ideal Ways to Style Khaki Pants.
↓ 18- Formal Attire with Turtle Neck Knits
Turtleneck sweaters and knitted tops can be turned into a formal staple during winters with a trench coat over it and formal cotton pants. To make it look more professional, oxford shoes are a superb option as these can make nearly semi-formal attires look formal.
↓ 17- Summer Formal Look
Summers ask for lighter tones and cooler clothing, even if it is formal. You don’t have vast alternatives when it comes to office apparel. However, a beige cotton blazer with a pastel color light shirt and formal gray or white or even matching beige pants can make you look stunning. However, to make it look high-fashion, add a vibrant pocket square to the ensemble.
↓ 16- Printed Blazer for Formal Wear
Well, if it has got too boring to wear the same plain suits daily, then for a change, try a patterned blazer with either stripes or any elegant pattern which keeps the professional charisma intact. You should always opt for the colors like Alabaster, Artichoke, and different gray frequencies as it is trending like forever. Check out these 18 Latest Men Casual Outfit with Blazer.
↓ 15- How to Wear White Pants Formally?
White pants look good with pastel shirts only; let it be any white or beige shade or bisque shade. However, the margin of variation in blazers’ styles is a bit wide as patterned coats and ties always look good with white pants, giving a naturally effortless look.
↓ 14- Amazon Formal Suit
Amazon color is one amazing option if you love green as it has a pretty positive associated with it, and guys with strong tan skin can pull this color off with full charisma. This shade looks perfect for weddings and parties with brown dotted ties and white dress shirts, and longwing brogue shoes will serve as a perfect shoe option.
↓ 13- How to Wear Denim Formally?
Denim with a slightly dark wash can be worn with a double-breasted blazer and white formal crisp shirt if you want a formal look but cannot miss on jeans.
↓ 12- Dapper Three-Piece Suit
For a dapper yet formal look, go for the classy three-piece with a modern touch i.e., an elegant tie and a handkerchief in the dark shade. Simultaneously, the blazer and waistcoat in lighter tones and textured fabric is one amazing option if you are planning to wear a three-piece at some fancy event like a party or some award ceremony. Don’t miss these 20 Ways to Wear a Peacoats for Guys.
↓ 11- Monochrome Formal Attire
For an ultimate monochrome look to stand out, always go for a simple floral or catchy brooch, or you can also pick a pocket square with a black and gray print on it. Anti-flash white or cream white blazers look perfect with black straight pants if the inner shirt is crisp white with a mandarin collar.
↓ 10- Formal Sweaters
Suits are not the only option when you are going to dress formally. You can also go for dark knitted sweaters over white crisp collar shirts and dark color pants. However, you should always opt for simple black or any formal color shoes to keep it professional.
↓ 9- Printed Formal Shirts
Printed gingham or checks are always worn with dress pants formally at offices. Adding a plain tie will spice up the ensemble, making it even more professional.
↓ 8- Stripes for Work Wear
A stripey blazer with a bright collar pocket square is all that you need to slay at work most fashionably. And here are 20 Ways to Wear Blue Suits with Brown Shoes.
↓ 7- Formal Khaki Pants
Khaki pants look best with a white mandarin collar or pointed collar shirt. However, folded cuffs and ends of pants can give a unique model-like vibe to your ensemble.
↓ 6- Formal Look for Business Travel
Men can definitely wear printed pants as in stripes or cheques for business tours, but the colors should either be black or navy with knitted tops and oxford shoes.
↓ 5- Bright Colored Formal Ensemble
A maroon or royal blue suit will look perfect on a reception or even prom night. However, keep the shirt plain and white with matching white shoes to make it look modest.
↓ 4- Formal Attire for Internees
Internees should go for knits during fall and plain shirts with a tie during summers with plain formal skinny pants and perforated oxfords. Do check out these Top 10 Men Formal Shoes Styles And Ideas on How to Wear them.
↓ 3- All-White Formal Look
An all-white formal safari suit never hurts if you are a designer or work in a firm’s art department.
↓ 2- Men’s Pastel Formal Wear
Men’s pastel suits are getting all the hype this spring and are often worn without ties, with pocket squares. Here are some more ideas on different Ways to Wear Pastel Outfits for Guys.
↓ 1- Formal Wear with Bow Ties
Bow ties and tuxedos look good in black and charcoal often. However, if you want to experiment a bit, go for brighter bows or printed ones with a simple dark blazer.
Do let us know about your favorite formal look in the comments section.
John Vincent studied Communication Arts in the Philippines.
He is a fan of superheroes; that’s why he loves the American series Smallville. He spends his spare time watching Arrowverse TV shows and MCU movies.
He pays attention to all things aesthetic. He’s a book-lover as well. And ever since, writing has been his best companion to express his feelings and thoughts.
He believes that fashion is one of the most creative ways of self-expression. He gets most of his style inspiration from Instagram models and screen personalities like Jordan Elsass, Noah Schnapp, and Johnny Orlando.