Rehearsal Dinner Outfits For Guests – A rehearsal dinner is typically a pre-wedding event that takes place the night before the wedding or on some occasions, a couple of days before it. It’s a time for the wedding party and close family members to gather and enjoy a meal together before the big day.
As a guest attending a rehearsal dinner, it’s important to dress appropriately for the occasion.
What To Wear To A Wedding Rehearsal Dinner?
The dress code for the rehearsal dinner depends on various factors. Here are a few looks that you can create if you have to attend a special event.
Dressy casual: For a more relaxed rehearsal dinner, opt for a business casual outfit. This could include a nice dress paired with sandals or a skirt and blouse with comfortable heels.
Semi-formal: If the dress code is semi-formal, consider wearing a nice pair of pants or a skirt with a dressy blouse or a dress. Choose shoes that are comfortable enough to wear all evening, such as low heels or flats.
Cocktail attire: If the dress code is formal or black-tie optional, consider wearing a cocktail dress or a suit. Choose shoes that complement your outfit and are comfortable enough to wear all evening.
Fashion Expert-Approved Tips
- Consider the dress code: If the invitation to the rehearsal dinner includes a dress code, make sure to follow it. Dress codes can range from casual to semi-formal or even formal, so it’s important to know what’s expected of you. If you’re unsure about the dress code, you can always ask the bride or groom for clarification.
- Consider the location: The rehearsal dinner location will also play a role in what you wear. If it’s taking place in a fancy restaurant, you might want to dress up a bit more, while a backyard barbecue might call for something more casual.
- Opt for comfort: Rehearsal dinners often last several hours, so comfort is key. Choose an outfit that you’ll feel comfortable in throughout the evening. Avoid tight, uncomfortable clothing and opt for breathable fabrics like cotton or linen.
- Consider the time of day: The time of day will also affect what you wear to the rehearsal dinner. If it’s taking place in the evening, you may want to dress up a bit more, but if it’s taking place during the day, you can opt for a more casual look.
- Think about the wedding guest outfit you’ll wear: The wedding style will also play a role in what you wear to the rehearsal dinner. If you’re wearing pink to the wedding, for example, you might want to try a different color for the rehearsal.
What Should You Not To Wear To A Rehearsal Dinner?
- Don’t wear anything too casual: While the rehearsal dinner may be less formal than the wedding itself, it’s still a special occasion, and you should avoid wearing anything too casual like shorts, t-shirts, or flip-flops.
- Avoid anything too revealing: A rehearsal dinner is a family event, so it’s best to avoid anything too revealing or provocative.
- Don’t wear anything too flashy or attention-grabbing: While you want to look good, you don’t want to steal the spotlight from the bride and groom. Avoid anything too flashy or attention-grabbing, and opt for something classic and timeless instead.
If you are a bridesmaid, your dress for the wedding is already decided by the bride. However, you can choose your own outfit at the rehearsal dinner. Here are some inspirations to make the most of this special event.
1 – Rusty Orange Off-Shoulder Cocktail Dress
For a beach theme-based event, cocktail dresses are perfect for flaunting. Rusty orange is an ideal color to choose if you want to take the golden hour pictures with the bride and groom. I would suggest keeping your jewelry minimal for an elegant look. Lastly, carrying a mini handbag or a clutch would also be nice.
2 – Blue Side Slit Skirt With Matching Top
If the dinner has casual vibes, don’t bother to overdo it with your dress. Keep it basic with a dark blue side slit skirt. Add a nude pair of heels. If you choose a light color outfit, I would suggest wearing bright-shade heels to contrast the overall look.
3 – Choose Monochrome Sequin Outfits
Sequin and silk dresses are everyone’s favorite, be it a rehearsal dinner or an actual wedding. Since there is a chance that the bride will wear white for the dinner, you can choose a monochrome dress to match with aesthetics.
Also, another fun way to coordinate with the bride is to ask if she’s going to wear a mini or long dress. If she’s willing to wear the same style, then you all can wear similar dress styles with different colors.
4 – Go With Light & Subtle Shades For Day Event
Floral dresses or light shades are perfect for a daytime event. It gives dressy casual vibes, which means you will be either doing too much or nothing at all. Dressy casual outfits are perfect for events where you want to do fun without being uncomfortable. Add a statement pair of sandals to finish the look in style.
5 – Color Coordination Always Looks Good
Color coordination looks good in pictures. If you wanted to create a core memory, all the bridesmaids could mutually decide on one or two colors. In case you need options, Red and Blue is an excellent combination. It will look good with the bride’s white dress.
For the Bride’s Mother
There is a possibility that both groom and bride families are meeting for the very first time at the rehearsal dinner.
Therefore, others also put extra effort into making their son/daughter’s special day even more memorable. Here are a few inspirations for all the moms or brides or grooms who are looking for dress options:
6 – Floral Maxi Dress
Since an all-white is for brides only, the bride’s mom can always wear a floral dress with the detailing of white. Choose a comfortable block sandal so you can enjoy the event to its fullest.
7 – Lilac Lace Outfit
Another suggestion for moms is to go with lace dresses. It gives a more subtle and decent look compared to silk or sequin. So, if you are 50 plus, pastel shades with lace dresses are a perfect match for you to do at your daughter’s wedding.
8 – Pink Midi Dress With White Heels
If you are 40 plus, wear bright and fresh colors like pink. You can either go with the midi or maxi dress. If you choose a midi dress, pair it with a fancy pair of heels. Add minimal jewelry to the outfit, and you are all set.
Maid of Honor Dresses
You must be close to the bride if you are a maid of honor. Keep in mind that this position comes with a lot of responsibilities, including choosing a perfect dress for the rehearsal dinner.
9 – Golden Cocktail Dress
Choose a mermaid-style cocktail dress if you want to wear a statement outfit. Accessories it with hoops and don’t forget to carry a clutch.
Also, one-shoulder long-sleeve dresses are pretty popular these days; you can never go wrong with such a classic style.
10 – Sleveeless Wrap Dress
Wrap dresses are pretty common for maids of honor. But one mistake which usually girls make is to keep their hair open with the sleeveless outfit.
Always tie your hair in a bun or ponytail for a snatched look with broad shoulders.
Add highlighter on your shoulder blades and you will clearly see the difference between the before and after looks.
11 – Light Pink Slit Dress
With long slit dresses, it is always important to wear staple pair of heels. A silver heel can never go wrong no matter the color of your outfit. If your dress isn’t sequin, then choose shimmery heels to grab the attention. Lace wrap heels also look pretty fine with slit dresses.
12 – Light Blue Maxi With Bishop Sleeves
If the dress code is semi-formal, choose a light color maxi dress. As a maid of honor, it is your duty to carry essential stuff which a bride might need during the event. So, don’t forget to carry a bag which has enough space for all the necessities.
Pro Tip – Carry the mini version of everything like perfumes, clips, and a comb. The list also includes safety pins, band-aids, painkillers, and tissues.
13 Nude Pink Ruffle Dress
A nude pink ruffle dress can be a stylish and feminine option for many occasions, depending on the style and design of the dress. You can pair it with nude heels, delicate jewelry, and a clutch bag for a classic and sophisticated look.
For Guest Couples
When it comes to choosing a rehearsal dinner dress for guest couples, there are many options available. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Matching outfits: For a coordinated look, guest couples can opt for matching outfits, such as a dress and a suit in complementary colors or patterns. This can create a cohesive and stylish look for the couple. Here are some celebrity couple’s matching outfits that you can take inspiration from.
- Formal dresses and suits: If the rehearsal dinner is more formal, guest couples can choose elegant dresses and suits. Women can opt for cocktail dresses or long gowns in classic colors, while men can choose dark-colored suits with dress shirts and ties.
- Casual outfits: For a more relaxed rehearsal dinner, guest couples can wear casual outfits such as sundresses, linen pants, or khakis. They can also incorporate fun accessories like hats, sandals, or statement jewelry.
- Themed outfits: If the rehearsal dinner has a specific theme, guest couples can incorporate the theme into their outfits. For example, for a beach-themed rehearsal dinner, women can wear flowy maxi dresses and men can wear linen shirts and khaki pants.
14 – Flower Printed Long Sleeve Mini Dress
The key is to choose outfits that are appropriate for the occasion and reflect the personal style of the couple. You can wear a mini dress with a sleek bun and choose a black turtle neck for your husband. For kids, black is a perfect color because there are chances they might spoil the dress if it’s in a light shade.
Always carry an extra dress for the baby in the car just in case they ruin their outfit.
15 – Pink One-Shoulder Gown
Pink outfits come in many shades, from soft blush to bold fuchsia. Choose a shade that complements your skin tone and matches the formality of the rehearsal dinner.
Soft, pastel shades of pink are perfect for a daytime event, while deeper shades of pink can work well for an evening affair.
If you are wearing pink, choose a blue coat for your man. You can match his tie with your outfit as well.
16 – Floral Top With Black Skirt
If you are keeping your outfit casual, then make sure to add some detailing that makes you look different from your daily routine. For example, if you are wearing a skirt, add a fancy stocking to elevate the look.
17 – Pink Bow Front Mini Dress
While you want to look your best, it’s important not to outshine the wedding party, which should be the focus of the wedding festivities. Avoid wearing anything too flashy or over-the-top. Here is a stylish yet subtle option for a guest couple to wear at a rehearsal dinner.
Q: What color to wear to a rehearsal dinner?
The appropriate color to wear to a rehearsal dinner can depend on various factors, such as the dress code, the time of day, and the individual’s personal style. In terms of colors, you can never go wrong with classic colors such as black, navy, gray, or beige. Other suitable colors could include jewel tones like emerald green, ruby red, and sapphire blue or lighter shades like pastel colors like lavender, pink, or light blue.
Q: What is the dress code for a wedding rehearsal?
The dress code for a wedding rehearsal can vary depending on the location and formality of the rehearsal. In general, a wedding rehearsal is less formal than the wedding itself, so the dress code is usually semi-formal or dressy-casual.
For women, this could mean wearing a dress, skirt, and blouse, or dress pants and a blouse. Avoid wearing anything too revealing, too short, or too tight. It’s best to opt for a more conservative outfit that still looks elegant and put-together.
Q: What to wear to wedding rehearsal at church?
When attending a wedding rehearsal at a church, it is important to dress appropriately for the location and occasion. Here are some tips on what to wear:
A conservative and modest church outfit is recommended. Consider wearing a knee-length dress or a skirt and blouse that covers your shoulders and doesn’t reveal too much cleavage. Avoid wearing anything too tight or revealing. You may also want to bring a shawl or cardigan to cover your shoulders if needed. Also, avoid wearing high heels that may be difficult to walk in on the church floor.
Javeria is a student and a content writer. She is good at public speaking, leadership, and management. She is passionate about writing, reading & music. She is an ambivert and is always up for a new friendship adventure. As an English literature student, she thinks fiction is more fun to read than nonfiction.