It’s that wholesome time of the year when family memories come alive against the backdrop of autumn’s glory, as the leaves paint the landscape with bright shades and the air turns crisper.
Your family photos are everlasting keepsakes, especially if you dress in outfits that reflect the season’s rich colors and textures.
Scroll away to discover how to blend the spirit of fall into your family’s clothes and match it with filters and lighting that recreate the wonderful mood of this bright season in this 15 carefully picked inspiration guide that’ll cover the following:
Tips that align with Nature’s Colour Palette
Step into the world of autumn’s beauty and style ideas! You’ve come to the correct place if you’re on the lookout for clothing ideas that reflect this season well. We’ll walk you through straightforward but stunning outfit options that mimic the warm tones of autumn foliage.
- Autumn is known for its warm and earthy color palette. Consider dressing your family in hues like mustard yellow, burnt orange, deep reds, olive greens, and rich browns. These tones harmonize beautifully with the fall landscape, providing a visually appealing aesthetic; perfect for the season!
- Layering isn’t just practical for cooler weather and adds dimension and visual interest to your outfits. Think cardigans, scarves, vests, and jackets. Mix textures like knits, tweeds, and denim.
- Opt for coordinated color schemes instead. Choose some base colors and mix them across the family’s clothing choices. This helps in creating a unified appearance without everyone looking identical.
- Select attire that complements the chosen location for your photoshoot. For instance, if you’re surrounded by vibrant fall foliage, neutrals or warm tones can make your family stand out against the backdrop. If the shoot is in an urban setting, slightly more formal or chic attire might suit the environment.
- While looking stylish is essential, ensure that everyone feels comfortable in their outfits. This is especially crucial for children who might get fussy in restrictive clothing. Comfortable footwear is also necessary, especially if your photoshoot involves walking or being outdoors.
- Accessories can elevate any outfit. Hats, scarves, statement jewelry, or even props like umbrellas or seasonal items (pumpkins, fallen leaves, etc.) can add a touch of whimsy to your photos.
- While trendy items can add a contemporary touch, relying too heavily on them might make your photos feel dated in the future. Mix timeless staples with a few trendy accents or textures for a balanced, enduring look.
Outfits to Wear for a Family Photoshoot in Autumn
Keep in mind that the clothes you wear aren’t as important as how at ease you feel with how you pose for family pictures. These fall-inspired outfit options will keep your family warm and ensure your images capture the season’s warmth and beauty.
15 – Autumn Whites
Contrary to traditional rules, dress the family in variations of white and cream tones for a soft and ethereal vibe against the fall scenery. The backdrop and the truck help complete the fall photo perfectly.
14 – Rustic Elegance
Mix earthy tones like rust, olive, and beige. Dad in a plaid shirt, mom in a flowing olive dress, and kids in cozy sweaters.
13 – Country Chic
Denim overalls paired with plaid shirts for a rustic is perfect for a country-inspired look.
12 – Casual Flannels & T-shirts
Keep it relaxed yet coordinated with flannel shirts in complementary colors for each family member.
11 – Harvest Colors
Dress in colors inspired by fall harvests – shades of cranberry, plum, and goldenrod – for a rich and vibrant ensemble.
10 – Tartan Touch with shades of browns
Choose one dominant tartan pattern, like plaids or Houndstooth, as shown in the picture for the family, and mix it with solid colors for a coordinated but not overly matched appearance. Personally, this is my favorite look, as it’s balanced and in harmony with one another.
9 – Monochrome Magic
For a sophisticated and striking visual impact, go for a single color palette: deep burgundy, gray, or forest green.
8 – Coordinated Neutrals
For a sophisticated and timeless look, go for different shades of neutral colors like white, cream, and camel. The colours stand out and make everything look bright and happy!
7 – Rustic Elegance & the barn house
Mix earthy tones like rust, olive, and beige. Dad in a plaid shirt, mom in a flowing dress, and the kids in cozy sweaters and plaid shirts.
6 – Bohemian Vibes in the fields
Dress in a flowing black dress. For kids, loose tops and oversized sweaters in warm tones are ideal for a boho-chic look. Use accessories like hair bows or beanies for the kids to make the looks stand out.
5 – Fair Isle Knits & Plaids
Choose your cozy Fair Isle sweaters or vests with intricate patterns in fall-inspired colors for a traditional and festive look. For children, you can opt for plaid button-up shirts or dresses with cardigans paired with boots or sneakers so they are comfortable the whole time.
4 – Harmonious Earth Tones
Select earthy tones such as chestnut brown, moss green, and sandy beige for a harmonious and grounded appearance against the fall landscape.
3 – Tulle and Tweed
Combine elegant tulle skirts for the ladies with tweed sweaters or cardigans. Wear sweaters or a simple button-up shirt for the gentlemen to achieve a perfect blend of sophistication and charm.
2 – Sweater Dresses and Boots
Moms and daughters can opt for sweater dresses paired with knee-high boots, while dads and sons can wear coordinating sweaters or cardigans for a chic yet comfortable ensemble. Select earthy tones such as chestnut brown, moss green, and sandy beige for a harmonious and grounded appearance against the fall landscape.
1 – The English country style with coats
Dress the family in casual yet stylish attire, incorporating chambray shirts, corduroy pants, and suede boots for a relaxed countryside vibe.