How to Look Stylish in 2021. We have all wondered at one time or another how we can look more stylish and fashionable. Most of us might have come to the conclusion that dressing stylishly means dropping loads of money on expensive outfits or hiring a personal stylist.
While both options are in reach for some of us, they still remain the exception… and not quite the rule. The majority of us are pretty thrilled with Target prices, do happy dances over a good Walmart sale, and flip through style magazines with barely suppressed envy. (Just me? Okay, then…) But ladies, no matter the state of our bank accounts, style does not begin and end with a designer label. Fashion isn’t reserved for the elite and looking cuter, more put-together, and yes, stylish, is possible for us all!
Practical Tips to be More Fashionable in 2021
But just how is it possible, you might be wondering. Well, hold onto your hats, gals. In today’s article, we are going to be going through our top 15 tips for looking more stylish and fashionable. From ways to look more stylish every day to being fashionable on a budget, these tips will help you instantly elevate your personal style and take your everyday looks to the next level. We will even talk about looking more stylish for certain occasions (like traveling or attending a dinner party) as well as fashion tips for the different seasons so you can look amazing all year-round. Let’s get started.
Before we get into our proper tips, here are some obvious (as well as not-so-obvious) do’s and don’ts to keep in mind when looking to be more stylish. Check them out.
- Don’t wear stained, ripped, and ill-fitting items. Dressing sloppily is never cute. Take a few minutes to scour your wardrobe for items that don’t make the cut or need to be repaired and be sure to set them aside, either to donate, repurpose, or discard.
- Do keep your jewelry polished and cleaned. A major DO in our book is to always stay on top of your jewelry and it’s cleanliness. It’s one of those teeny things that often get overlooked but can really elevate an outfit when attended to.
- Do figure out what types of clothing look good on your body and invest in those pieces. You might have some killer long legs and maybe they look incredible in ankle-length jeans. Or maybe you have a curvy, round figure and you look awesome in a wrap dress. Hit up your local thrift store and start experimenting with different styles. There’s no need to break the bank over this, but next time you are shopping for clothes, look for those pieces that are guaranteed to look great on you, and then you can supplement those pieces with other needed items.
- Do style your hair and keep your nails clean and groomed. If you want people to think of you as “that girl who always looks stylish” then you need to pay attention to personal grooming! Chewed down nails, chipped polish, and dark roots are guaranteed to detract from a polished appearance.
- Do wear clothing that fits you well. Not all of us can afford to get our clothing tailored. So it’s all the more important to stick to pieces that already fit pretty well and highlight your best features. (Shapely legs, a graceful neck, toned shoulders, etc.) Forget what your girlfriend likes to highlight or your sister and focus on making the most of what you got. That’s the real secret to dressing with confidence.
- Do add accessories. There’s no need to go crazy (and some minimalistic looks don’t need many accessories at all) and you definitely don’t want to overdo it, but a few well-picked pieces of jewelry, a stylish belt, or a gorgeous pair of sunglasses can make any outfit look incredible. If you coordinate your pieces so that they mostly match or go together then you will have hacked into a simple trick that all your favorite style icons are aware of.
- Do what Parisian models do and add some red lipstick. Now this is a bit of a fun tip and it doesn’t always apply, but a quick way to bring a simple outfit to the next level is just by adding a great shade of lipstick! Even if you are barefaced, some lipstick is always a chic touch that looks fabulous. Give it a try next time you are headed out for lunch or you are visiting a new spot.
And now let’s get to the good stuff!
Curated below are 15 simple ways you can take your style IQ to the next level. Remember that we all start somewhere and some of these might be familiar to you and others may be ones you never thought of. Regardless, there’s something here for everyone. Check them out!
↓ 15. Go monochrome for winter workwear
A simple way to look instantly more stylish and give your workwear attire a reset is to go monochrome. This is especially fun to do in the winter when you can also play with textures and layers. Here’s a gorgeous cream-beige-white combo that we are in love with.
For spring, try sticking to a couple of colors or “matching” your pieces for a color-coordinated look that will have everyone you meet thinking you’re a true style icon. (After implementing these tips, you really will be one so say hello to your new life!)
↓ 14. Accessorize summer outfits with gold jewelry
One great way to look stylish during the summer is by accessorizing with gold jewelry. Now, you might be more of a silver girl, which is totally fine. You do you! But when it comes to summer styling, there’s something magical and chic about gold accents.
Gold looks great with a tan and also tends to catch the sunlight, which are two easy ways to up your summer ensembles. But there’s no need to break the bank. Invest in a few pieces if you can but also remember you have options. Costume and fashion jewelry can work; so does plated gold. Look for clearance sales and special deals – most of your favorite stores will have them!
↓ 13. Add a blazer to travel outfits
Want to feel like you’ve got it all together? Pop a blazer over your basic airport attire and you will look and feel like a million bucks, whether it’s four in the morning or four in the afternoon. Oftentimes we layer on hoodies and sweatshirts while traveling… and while it’s 100% possible to still look stylish when wearing that type of loungewear, swapping out a hoodie for a blazer is an easy-peasy way to take any outfit to the next level. It doesn’t have to be tailored and it doesn’t have to be fitted. Here’s how model Rosie Huntington-Whiteley styled hers.
Alternatively, here’s an athleisure look that doesn’t sacrifice a (cropped) hooded sweatshirt or comfy leggings!
↓ 12. Add color to your wardrobe
For many of us, colors often take a backseat in our outfit choices. We stick to boring, safe tones and miss out on a whole range of possibilities that utilizing color can give to us. Take this look, for instance. It’s easy to underestimate what a pop of color can do for an outfit until you look a basic one like this and get blown away.
↓ 11. Give a matching set a try
A super easy and effortless way to appear more stylish is by wearing a matching set. This could be a matching tracksuit, a top-and-bottom set, or just a great suit. The bolder the set the more impressive you will seem and since no one can resist the aesthetic appeal of a well-matched look, people will automatically assume you know what you are doing, fashion-wise. (Even if, at first, you feel like you are faking it!)
↓ 10. Wear an animal print dress
Want to look instantly stylish? Get yourself an animal print dress. Rocking an animal print takes a lot of confidence so wearing a piece like this will not only have you feeling fabulous but you’ll look it too. This is a loud print, so keep the rest of your look understated and do opt for a flattering and modest dress. Here are some more ideas on styling Animal Print Outfits.
↓ 9. Choose sleek, classic lines for a dinner party
What comes to mind when you think of the word timeless? Timeless beauty, timeless style? When creating a dinner party look, look to create a timeless silhouette with a high, graceful neckline and a skirt that hits halfway down the calf.
↓ 8. Layer a dress with a turtleneck
For an instantly chic ensemble, layer a turtleneck with a dress. Add a belt to the waist for an extra chic finish. Do have a look at our collection of the best ever Turtleneck Outfits.
↓ 7. Wear tailored, high-waisted trousers
Tailored trousers will highlight your figure and create a gorgeous silhouette.
↓ 6. Wear more neutral colors
Neutrals are a shortcut to appearing stylish any day of the week. While color is fun, bold, and adds dimension to your attire, neutral colors (especially when worn monochromatically) bring a sophisticated touch to your wardrobe.
↓ 5. Tuck your top in
Most outfits look instantly better with a tucked-in top. You could also try just tucking the front in as well and leaving the rest of the top (be it shirt, sweater, or tank) out.
↓ 4. Have fun with layers
Experiment with layering your outfits to create new outfits out of familiar pieces. This is especially great to do in winter.
↓ 3. Add an oversized coat or jacket
Fall is the perfect time to try this trend. You can also let your jacket just sit on your shoulders for a chic twist.
↓ 2. Accessorize with a hat or headband
The perfect finishing touch to any look!
viaThis Look does not have an image.
↓ 1. Add a colorful scarf
Match it with your outfit or use it to bring new colors into your look!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about fashion and style that we have answered for you. Give them a look through!
Q. How can a girl be stylish?
A. It really is the million-dollar question, isn’t it? How can a girl be stylish? Well, the answer is that it really boils down to trial and error. Like any skill in life, developing a sense of style isn’t cultivated overnight. It may take some time and it will definitely take making some mistakes. The good news is, just by reading this article you are already taking a positive step forward in becoming the most stylish version of yourself. So pick out one or two tips from this article that you can try this week and start there. Follow social media accounts, blogs, and YouTube channels that teach you about style. And go ahead and bookmark Outfit Trends if you liked this article and want to see more like it.
Q. How can I look stylish every day?
A. Look stylish every day by building a wardrobe and several go-to outfits you love and feel confident in. Take stock of your current wardrobe and consider getting rid of all the sloppy, ill-fitting, worn out pieces you can. (If it isn’t there, you won’t grab it next time you’re in a rush and need to quickly throw something on.) Experiment with different combos of your clothes and take note of outfit possibilities. Make it a habit to set out your outfit the night before and do trial runs to figure out what works with what. Pay attention to personal grooming and never underestimate the power of a great fitting top or pair of jeans.
Q. How to be fashionable on a low budget?
A. Invest in basic pieces that you can dress up. Remember quality over quantity. Become an expert thrifter and scour clearance and sales racks for hidden gems. Accessorize. Wear cute shoes.
Q. How to make simple clothes look fashionable?
A. Simple clothes can be anything from tee-shirts to jeans to plain trousers (and more, of course). But these can easily be made to look fashionable based on what you pair them with. A simple white tee-shirt worn with a blazer, jeans, and heels can look insanely fashionable, especially when paired with some statement sunglasses and a great hairstyle. A few pieces of classic jewelry will up the style points of any look and making sure your outfit fits and flatters your shape is another important element you shouldn’t overlook!
Ultimately, being stylish is a mindset and a skill that takes time to develop. Feel free to experiment and if any of these tips don’t work for you, that’s totally fine! Looking stylish is also about feeling confident. If you feel confident in what you are wearing and how you dress, then that is what people will notice before anything else.
R.H. Elias is a freelance writer, aspiring author, and freelance transcriptionist. She is a homebody all the way and loves curling up on a cold, rainy day with a good book and a warm cup of tea. Her favourite pastimes include reading, writing, and watching period films. She currently lives in Puerto Rico.