13th birthday outfit ideas for girls. Each and every birthday is a special time for a young girl. In your early teenhood, your birthday is most certainly something you look forward to, plan ahead for, and dream about how it is going to resemble perfectly your favorite game or doll at the time.
Mine for instance was almost always themed around Barbies and Princesses, which consequently had me planning my outfit weeks in advance. In the modern-day and age, it is not surprising and even more probable that fashion is even prominent in the lives of young girls aged 13, mainly due to technological advances, and their prominence in their lives. Which is all the more reason to read up on some style tips and outfit ideas for what to wear for a girl on her 13th birthday.
What to wear to a 13th Birthday Party?
Make sure that you are going to wear something memorable and beautiful. It is of the highest importance that on your birthday – a day that is dedicated to you and only you, that you feel the most comfortable, the most confident, and the most special. It is also important to remember that you are making memories, pictures are being taken, your family members are making mental images in their minds about these precious milestones. In order for you to have a gallery of beautiful and truly special photographs and videos to look back on throughout the years, we recommend choosing wisely and wholeheartedly that special outfit you will be wearing for your birthday.
Tips on choosing your 13th birthday outfit:
There are so many interesting things that can be done for a 13-year-old birthday party. Action, adventure, glamour are all options for the party occasion. It is so important to choose an outfit that will fit the context of how you’re celebrating your 13th birthday, and also make you most comfortable and most predisposed to having uninterrupted fun. Here is a list of possible birthday occasions and an appropriate choice of clothes for each.
- Movies: One of the most pleasant ideas is to gather your closest friends, rent out a small movie theatre room and play a movie that you and your friends love best. Surround yourself with delicious sweet snacks and have lots of relaxed fun. For this occasion you might want to wear something comfortable and soft enough to lounge in the movie seats, so we suggest a soft long dress of some sort.
- Bowling for kids: Kids love to be active it’s no secret, one of the most competitive yet safe activities to do on a birthday party is kids bowling. Gather a large group of your classmates and friends and enjoy some time eating pizza and burgers at the kids bowling alley. As this is a more competitive and active venue for a birthday, you need to choose your outfit strategically not to compromise your victorious status at the end of the night. We suggest you wear flat comfortable shoes with tight fastenings – like sneakers. To match that, yet still maintain a dressed up look we propose a pair of overalls ($39.99), or a pair of trousers with a very bold top. A style tip for wearing active clothes and making them still scream “Im the brithday girl” is to opt in for clothing with bright colors, vivid prints, or clothing tops with three dimentional design elements – like ruffles for example.
- Dinner party: A classic way to celebrate your birthday is to host a close circle friends and family dinner party. There will be lots of delicious foods, lots of toasting to the beautiful birthday girl and perhaps even some dancing or party games. But most importantly this type of celebration permits a full blown dressed up birthday girl outfit. You can really go all out and feel like the most special princess in the room. We suggest to go for a fluffy tool dress ($16.99) in a color of your choice. Pair it with a stricking ballet flat shoe and you will leave everyone admiring how absolutely sweet the birthday girl looks on her special day. You can get some really good ideas from our earlier post on Perfect New Year’s Eve Outfits For Teenage Girls.
- Performance: If you’re one for adventures and discovering something new a performance might be the birthday activity for your 13th birthday, there is a huge variety of activities which make for absolutely unforgettable birthday moments – starting from circus and live animal performance, all the way to unbelivable and almost magical science experiments preformed right infront of your eyes. Some might even involve a magician showing up and shocking all the guests. For this occasion we suggest to wear something which will be equally as enchanting, something with a bit of edge and mystery to it, in an effort to steal the show of course. Possibly you would want to opt into something sparkly, or something in dark navy tones, ($15.99) certainly a dress, and certainly with black laquer flats ($13.99).
- Arts and Crafts birthday: If you are the one who always has a couple of crayons laying around, and your parents belive you will grow up to be the next Picasso, then spending the day dedicated solely for that passion of yours is a trully wonderful option. Ofcourse you will have to remember that you might dirty your outfit, which is why we suggest a statement pair of pants ($15.99), a white longsleeve shirt/turtle neck ($15.47) and an arts t-shirt combination which will make you stand out as the creative star you are, whilst leaving you paint protected.
Now that the generalities are out of the way, we have compiled a list of 15 outfits you can wear to your 13th birthday party. This list is aimed at providing every girl with an outfit idea to wear to the birthday party of her dreams, to celebrate a very special date of her 13th birthday.
15 – Birthday Outfit to Remember
This is the outfit that you will look back on and be happy that you have worn. It’s special, it sparkles and it will make you feel like a princess, something every 13-year-old girl should feel on her birthday.
14 – Cute Black Birthday Dress
If you want to feel more sophisticated and dressed up for your 13th birthday party, we recommend that you make up an outfit of a pretty black dress, after all, every lady should have a little black dress in their closet and have one on your thirteenth birthday is the true signature of style.
13 – Casual Outfit for Birthday Party
If you are choosing to do something relaxing or active but certainly not something fancy for your 13th birthday, perhaps you are a fan of our earlier idea – having an arts and crafts birthday party, we propose to go for a pair of neutral overalls which will look very stylish due to the color detail, but fit your birthday theme.
12 – Show Stopping Red Dress
If you want to just look marvelous in your birthday pictures to look back on and remember exactly how magical your 13th birthday was, you should opt into wearing a composed wine red dress. To complete the outfit, pair this with some white or beige ballet flats and of course a tiara.
11 – Princess White Dress
If you want to fit the elegant theme of your birthday party as you’re celebrating your 13th birthday, you must wear a long white dress. Pair the dress with a pair of matching white flats, and a tiara to make you absolutely princess-like for your 13th birthday.
10 – An Edgy Birthday Girl Outfit
At the age of 13, you undeniably have your own personal tastes and styles, and your birthday is a day like no other to show that off. Wear your most comfortable black dress, and accessorize however you see fit. For instance, rock a light brown cowboy hat with it, it is your day and you look amazing in it.
9 – Birthday Guest Outfits for Teen Girls
When you are having a birthday it is not only time to celebrate how you have grown up but also a time to create memories which will last a lifetime both in your mind and on camera film. To memorialize it to the best of your ability, wear something dashing and sparkling, better yet, have your family members dress to match your tastes.
8 – Simple White Birthday Dress
At the end of the day it is the simplest colors that prove to be most elegant – and therefore a perfect fit for a girl’s 13th birthday party outfit. Our suggestion is to pair a white dress with some white accessories, like a headband. It is also important to note that if you want to amplify your outfit and make it dressier, choose a dress with lace.
7 – Pretty & Bright Dress
If you dress casual all the time, your birthday really is the time to step out into the light with a beautiful brightly colored dress. Choose your favorite color, or choose a bright happy color like yellow.
6 – Black Birthday Skirt and Dress Combo
Sometimes you want to wear something as timeless as a black dress, but you want to be different, or perhaps you do not own a black dress. Well, no worries because if you have a black long sleeve with padded shoulders, and a black skirt you are all set to create a seamless black dress appeal for your 13th birthday look. I also recommend that you check out these Summer Outfits for Teenage Girls.
5 – Hot Pink Girls 13th Birthday Dress
If you are not afraid of standing out your 13th birthday is the time and place to do it, the dress you need for that task is certainly a hot pink one.
4 – A Classic Look
A long black dress with ruffles is the classic and timeless way to go for your birthday. But what is more important is the accessories, match a black purse and black boots to look very chic for your 13th birthday.
3 – Outdoor Birthday Outfit
If you’re celebrating your birthday outdoors, and you wish to dress very casual and comfortable for it – there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. We recommend you wear a simple brown dress to fit the occasion. For more inspiration, check out these Cutest Summer Camping Outfits for Teen Girls to Wear.
2 – Sparkly Dress
If you have a sparkly dress, pull it out because your 13th birthday is definitely the day to rock it and feel dazzling.
1 – Birthday Dinner Outfit
We have saved the best for last, so if you are planning to have a grand 13th birthday dinner party, the perfect dress for you looks like this. A fiery red or orange dress, with floor-length, covered in paillettes that will sparkle all night long. Complete your look with these Red Dress Makeup Ideas & Hairstyling Tips for Perfect Look.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What kind of dress should I wear for my 13th birthday?
A. The type of dress really depends on the occasion, so the way you celebrate your birthday should reflect your dress, if you’re at home with a family dress more casual, if you will be going out for a dinner you can go for a more dressed up choice.
Q. What colors should I wear for my birthday?
A. Your favorite color would be the best option, it’s your special day, and you should be wearing a color that makes you feel beautiful. Remember to go for a special hairstyle, you can get some interesting ideas from these Curly Hairstyles for Teenage Girls.
Q. What are some cool things to do on your 13th birthday?
A. If you are still deciding on what to do and what to wear for your birthday, read at the beginning of this article where we have listed the most fun birthday activities for a 13 y.o girl and some outfit options which would be most suitable for each option.
Lyuba Bessarab studies Fashion Management at the London College of Fashion.
She is from Kyiv Ukraine originally and is based in London now. Although she doesn’t live in Ukraine now, it has a very huge part of her identity.
As an artist, she does not only get inspired by her cultural heritage for her fashion choices, but she also incorporates it in what she makes.