What to Wear Today. If you are anything like me, the effort and time it takes to figure out a cute ensemble day after day can get seriously draining. With all the daily stresses we deal with, trying to think up new and cool ways to style the same old pieces can become so taxing that we give up altogether and just throw on the same boring old outfits. Sound familiar? Girl, we get it.
That’s why in today’s article, we are going to do all the work for you. Bookmark this page for the next time you are staring at your closet, fighting back tears, not knowing what to wear. Don’t worry about looking trendy or cute: just follow the simple step-by-step looks we have curated below and looking cute will be a give-in. Wondering what is trending? Or what’s currently in style? Now you don’t have to. These basic but timeless tips won’t let you down and you can refer back to them over and over again. Think of this post like the one-armed hug of a big sister or aunt who is just going to do all the heavy lifting for you and take out some of the stressful guesswork. Ready? Let’s go!
Tips For When You Don’t Know What to Wear
Before anything else, let’s address the elephant in the room. What the heck do you wear when you don’t KNOW what to wear! Whether you are just plain fed up with your current wardrobe or you have some serious WFH (work from home) brain and can’t stand to put together one more cute, casual, but stylish look, these tips will freshen up your outlook and help you tackle what, for many, has become a daily nightmare. Here they are:
- Take a deep breath. No, seriously. Sometimes we get so overwhelmed we literally forget to breathe. But deep breathing, particularly when we are stressed or just fed up, will supply our brains with the oxygen it needs to think calmly and rationally and it also stimulates our parasympathetic nervous system. (Who knew deciding what to wear could get so serious?! Well, as with any area in life, decision fatigue and overwhelm can creep on us unawares and can show up in innocent scenarios like getting dressed in the morning.) So try taking some deep breaths before going any further.
- Don’t throw out everything in your closet. We know, it’s tempting. But there’s no need to go blow all your cash on starting over with your wardrobe. Let’s make do. It’s easier than you think!
- Put on your favorite pair of earrings. Go ahead, do it. Whether they are silver hoops, some crazy tassels, pearls, or diamonds, pop on your favorite earrings and we guarantee you’ll feel at least 10% more put-together. And feeling more put-together does do real wonders for our brains, sweetheart, getting us one step closer to a complete look we feel amazing in.
- Check the weather. There is nothing more annoying than getting caught in your favorite suede boots in a downpour. Plus, if you know what to expect weather-wise, figuring out an outfit just got that much easier.
- Determine what the day requires. Are you dressing for work? Are you staying at home? Are you headed out to run errands? In today’s post, we are covering these five categories:
- Everyday Style
- Special Events (dates, parties, etc.)
(Don’t see what you need in this list? Let us know in the comments below!)
- Don’t be afraid to rework a go-to outfit. Do you have one jacket you just love wearing? Or maybe a favorite pair of jeans that does great things for your butt? Before you write it off as a piece you’ve worn a million times, try looking at it with fresh eyes. Why not try wearing that jacket with rolled-up sleeves? Or cuffing the jeans and swapping out your ballet flats for stiletto heels? Why not try pairing those favorite pearl earrings with that beat-up, much-loved leather jacket? Think of your wardrobe like a repurposing station and get creative with pieces you might have previously written off. You can even make a game out of it, trying to come up with new, fun ways to wear an old piece. Hey, if Kate Middleton can do it, why can’t we?!
Now, let’s get to the good stuff.
As aforementioned, we’ve broken up this post into five categories and in each category, you will find three outfit ideas complete with easy substitutions and quick tips to help spark some ideas for you. Let’s get started.
↓ 15. Wear cute tees that flatter you
Need a quick casual look? Whether you are lounging at home, crashing at a friend’s apartment, or simply taking a walk around the neighborhood, this casual ensemble won’t let you down. Here’s our advice for creating a go-to casual outfit you can play around with and wear in a variety of ways: stock up on tee-shirts that flatter you.
There are crew-neck tee, boat-neck tees, v-neck, and more. Next, figure out what type of sleeve looks best on you. A cap sleeve? Short and folded over? Long? Once you figure out these variables you can spend less time figuring out what looks cute and more time simply getting dressed and getting out the door (or returning to your sofa, who are we kidding).
To create a similar look to the one pictured below, start with one of your most flattering tees and pair it up with your favorite jeans. Next, add some slip-on trainers. The real magic is in the accessories and grooming though, so slap on some pretty nail polish and add a couple of chunky bracelets, as well as a signature watch.
This Look does not have an image.
↓ 14. Try a funky print button-down
Ditch the graphic tees for a funky print button-down. Check your mom’s closet or your local thrift store to score one for yourself.
↓ 13. Layer a dress with a crew-neck tee
Sick of leggings and tee-shirts? Swap them for a cute little black dress over a crewneck. You could also wear a long-sleeve, depending on the weather. Any little black dress will do. Here are all the Ways to Layer Your Clothes like Pro.
↓ 12. Swap jeans for bow-tie pants
Having a great everyday sense of style means keeping things fresh and trying new trends. We love these tie pants paired with a boat-neck top, tucked in. The magic is in the statement earrings so take a look through your jewelry box and see what you come up with!
↓ 11. Add a pop-of-color to basic outfits
Here’s a simple way to dress up the most basic of pairings (jeans and a white tank): simply add a bright-colored piece to the look. It could be a jacket, a wrap top, or a cardigan. Just like that, your outfit looks cute and put-together. A fun print would also work.
↓ 10. Throw on a dress with sneakers
Forget the heels and give your feet the gift of comfort. Any sneakers will do. Just be sure to accessorize with a statement bag and sunnies to look extra stylish.This Look does not have an image.
↓ 9. Rock the jeans
Jeans may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you are putting together a work outfit (trousers, pants, or slacks are just a bit more common) but here’s one way to rock your favorite curvy jeans: pair with a structured top and a fun jacket. (We don’t all have velvet blazers lying around so if you don’t, a blazer in a bold color will do just as well.) Accessorize with statement jewelry and finish off the look with peep-toe heels.
↓ 8. Wear something neon-colored
Say sayonara to your plain pencil skirts and give a neon orange skirt a try. If you don’t have one, consider a neon-colored top paired with neutral pants. Also, think of color opposites: orange looks great with navy blue, etc.
↓ 7. Go monochrome to workThis Look does not have an image.
↓ 6. Wear your favorite colored dress
We all have a color that we love or that we look fabulous in. So our first tip for a special event look is to wear a dress in a color you look amazing in. Skip the neutrals or plain shades for now and think bold, bright, and colorful. Pair with some nude heels and you’ve got yourself a gorgeous date night or party look.
↓ 5. A new spin on the LBD
When in doubt, a great “special occasion” look is a Little Black Dress. We all know this and it will never fail. But if you’ve got it, a longer style dress that’s form-fitting and features an asymmetrical hem is just as stylish. Something to keep in mind: when you are going for body-con dresses, less is more so opt for something that doesn’t show as much skin. We love this ensemble for a date night look! Here are some more Ideas on How to Wear The Little Black Dress.This Look does not have an image.
↓ 4. Try a tulle skirt
When you are feeling stumped style-wise, think outside the box on textures and fabrics. Ever tried a tulle skirt? Now is your chance! You can go for an all-black look (perfect for a work event or birthday bash) paired with killer heels and curled hair.
↓ 3. Think outside the box
Formal gowns can often look a little monotonous. So consider a dress in unexpected color hues and/or material. We love this satin-finished dress paired with bold red heels and a matching handbag.
↓ 2. Try a large print like floral
A formal occasion is a perfect opportunity to let your inner style queen have free rein. Is there a bold print you have always wanted to try? Want to go full-length? We recommend a bold floral on white, paired with pumps and a hand clutch.
↓ 1. Wear a dress in a jewel tone
Another intoxicating look is a dress in a jewel tone. It’s always classy, always stylish. Add silver jewelry and pull back your hair in a classic chignon or twist.
Finally, here’s a super simple bonus outfit for you when you are just staying at home, perhaps working from home, and you want to feel cute but don’t have a clue of what to wear. Simply pair a chambray shirt with jeans and some animal print flats. Finito!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about what to wear today, how to dress stylishly when you have nothing to wear, and style advice. Check them out!
What to wear when you have nothing to wear?
A. This is an issue that afflicts the best of us. We have all, at one time or another, stood in front of our closet, ready to pull our hair out because we are just so fed up with our wardrobes. It’s a first-world problem that showcases how blessed we are if you think about it. But the fact remains, we all experience days like that where we are stumped in the wardrobe department. So here are a couple of tips on what to wear when you have nothing to wear!
- Depending on what you are getting dressed for (work, a date, to run errands, etc.), keep it simple. Do you have a favorite top you love? Do you have a cute dress you know you look great in? Grab it and then do a quick Google search. For instance, if you have a floral dress, look up floral dress outfits. See what comes up. Do you have any of the suggested items? Maybe it’s a dress and sneakers look. So pop on some sneakers. Is there jewelry involved? What kind? Try and find something similar in your jewelry box. And so on. This is one quick way to put together an outfit without too much guesswork.
- If you need a work look, try thinking outside the box. Swap your blazer for a cute cardigan. Try styling your hair in a new manner. Add a bright lipstick shade. Try flats instead of heels or boots instead of mules. Try and have fun with it! Figuring out outfits is supposed to an enjoyable thing, not a punishment.
- Scroll through posts like this one and keep an eye out for familiar pieces. Do you have a neon skirt you’ve been waiting to try? Do you have a tee-shirt dress you haven’t worn in forever? Take note of what you already own and try to copy what you see in the pictures shown above. You will in all likeliness end up stumbling onto a great outfit that you might not have considered before!
Q. What to wear when you have nothing to wear to school?
A. You may still be in high-school or maybe you’re a college gal, trying to come up with new looks while staying on top of all your assignments. Whatever the case, a rule of thumb is to make sure you are dressed age-appropriately and according to code. Next, think about your personal sense of style. If you don’t have one yet, consider taking some time out of your schedule to look through fashion magazines, scour fashion blogs like this one, or follow some style channels on YouTube. Figure out what you love wearing and start building a wardrobe that reflects your style – even if it’s eclectic! Then you will already have the building blocks to create looks you love, over and over. In a quick pinch though, here are a couple of ideas:
- try pairing a loose boyfriend shirt (long sleeves, buttons) with some cropped jeans and some heels
- layer a sweater over a button-down, and pair with your favorite jeans and some Doc Martens (remember to accessorize!)
- add a hat to your ensemble, be it a cute fedora, a beret, or a knit beanie
- ditch the baggy hoodie for a blazer, which can be worn over a tee-shirt and jeans with some booties for a chic look
You can also watch this video on how to find your personal sense of style!
Q. What to wear when you have nothing to wear in winter?
A. Dressing in winter gets old (and boring) fast. So let’s get creative. How about layering a wool dress over a long-sleeved top, belted at the waist, and paired with tall boots? It’s cute, a little quirky, and different. Or a turtleneck with a wool skirt, boots, and a chic coat. Think about textures as well as color. Spicing things up can sometimes mean just trying a new and unexpected color!