Boat shoe outfits. If you’re looking for shoes that are both comfortable and fashionable enough to last for years then what you need are boat shoes. They are ideal for a casual and effortless look and the recent interest in them has led to heels and even wedges that are shaped like boat shoes.
But of course, nothing beats the classic style of boat shoes. If you’re interested in knowing what are boat shoes then it’s a pretty long story with a lot of history, but to cut things short, these shoes were designed originally to be worn on decks and by sailors. But in the 1980s, they became a part of men’s fashion. And since the 2000s, they have become immensely popular amongst women too. While traditionally these shoes were only available in a few colors and styles, today you can find them in a huge range of colors and styles, we’ll be discussing more on this later in our section on the best boat shoe brands. The boat shoes are usually made of leather or canvas which makes them water-resistant but these days you can also find them in a number of other materials like suede or rubber. People often confuse boat shoes with loafers, but the difference between the two is that boat shoes are more sporty and they also have a slight heel. All these things make them ideal for when you’re on a boat but even when you’re not, they still look super cute.
How to Wear Boat Shoes and Look on Point
We’ll be starting this article with some simple tips to help you make the most out of your boat shoes. Of course, these tips are just some tried and tested suggestions and not some rules that must be followed. You should always feel free to experiment and come up with your own style.
- Use the right accessories: Since boat shoes are basically a type of menswear-inspired shoe, they’re not very feminine. So to add girly touches, you have to be careful when selecting your accessories. For example, choose floral bags with boat shoes instead of solid colored ones.
- Avoid socks: Another way to add feminine touches to your boat shoes is by letting your ankle show. This can be achieved by either not wearing socks or wearing socks that don’t show for example the loafer socks. However, if you’re wearing them for someplace wet like the beach or on a rainy day then obviously you’ll opt for not wearing socks.
- Plan your outfit: Since boat shoes are more of a casual style, but this doesn’t mean that you need to feel restricted as we’ll also be sharing with you some party outfit ideas with boat shoes. But if you’re planning to wear them for a special occasion, make sure that you’re well prepared and plan all the details well ahead of time.
- Bottoms to wear with boat shoes: Jeans and denim are always the best shoes to wear with any boat shoes. For the best look, wear them with cropped ones or simply cuff up your jeans. Other than that, you can also wear them with khakis, skirts, and shorts.
- When to wear boat shoes: These shoes are best suited for the Summers and Spring. Since they leave most of your feet exposed, they won’t be a good shoe type for chilly Winters.
- Choosing the right colors. With boat shoes, you never need to worry about matching the colors as they are simply made to stand out. But unless you’re wearing white boat shoes, avoid wearing pants in a color that’s darker than your shoes. One awesome combination would be to wear navy blue boat shoes with khaki pants, you should have a look at these Women Shoes with Khaki Pants.
- When to not wear boat shoes. Always avoid wearing them in winter or for any black-tie event.
So here are our favorite ways of styling them for every season. And they’ll be followed by a list of the best places to shop for boat shoes.
↓ 16 – For the Boat
Where else would the boat shoes be more perfect for than a boat? The shoes you see here are the most classic Sperry boat shoes in tan colour. For more ideas, check out our earlier post on what to wear for a boating trip.
You can buy these shoes here for just $94.95.
And of course, you can wear your boat shoes for any water activity.
↓ 15 – Elegant Party Attire with Boat Shoes
Wear your boat shoes with a sequin tunic for a cute party outfit.
↓ 14 – Boat Shoes for Travelling
When you’re packing your stuff for a trip, you have a limited choice of shoes that you can take with you and it is in such scenarios that the boat shoes prove their worth.
You can see here how boat shoes can be paired with different travel outfits and look great in every look.
↓ 13 – Celebrity Style
Many celebrities including Blake Lively, love wearing boat shoes. This is an outfit of her from a set in Paris and it looks like the perfect casual outfit for everyday wear.
↓ 12 – Casual Chic Homewear
If you’re having a casual get together at your place or you have some friends coming over then this is a superb look to go for. A comfy sweater, sweatpants and boat shoes, topped with a messy bun, in one word, this look is all about ‘comfort’.
↓ 11 – Boat Shoe Outfit for Work
Metallic colored boat shoes can easily be dressed up or dressed down, depending on the occasion and place you’re dressing up for.
↓ 10 – Date Night Look
A simple yet effortlessly romantic look for dinner date. Here are some more gorgeous Outfits To Wear On A Date.
↓ 9 – Spring Outfit
As mentioned earlier, boat shoes work really well with floral print scarves.
↓ 8 – Dressing Up Printed Boat Shoes
Wear your printed boat shoes with solid colored shirts.
↓ 7 – Beach Style
A refreshing look for a beach day.
↓ 6 – Couple Goals
You can easily find boat shoes that will match with your significant other’s shoes and outfits. They create the perfect combination for photoshoots.
↓ 5 – White Coloured Sperry Boat Shoes
↓ 4 – The Perfect Weekend Look
↓ 3 – College Outfit
↓ 2 – Minimalist Living
Boat Shoes just have to be a part of your wardrobe if you’re into minimalist fashion. You can easily find neutral colored boat shoes that can be worn with absolutely any outfit. Its always best to invest in good quality shoes though so they’ll last longer, which means that you need to prefer quality over quantity.
↓ 1 – Best Boat Shoe Brands of the Year
Here’s a list of our favorite places to shop for women boat shoes.
- Sperry. Starting with the classic brand that has been around since ages and continues to be at the top of the boat shoe game. They were the original boat shoe brand from America and they can be found in many different locations throughout the country. The price for their women’s boat shoes starts from $89.95 and goes up to $174.95. The best part is that they have 8 different types of boat shoes, each of which has some unique characteristics.
- Quvel. Customised boat shoes are the cutest idea for couples who like sharing things. And Quvel is definitely the best place for this type of stuff. You can choose the type of shoe you want from three different boat shoe styles for women and then go on to choose your shoe’s color, embroidery graphics and add any text of your choice. This makes these shoes a really cute gift for weddings and other occasions.
Check out this gorgeous and summery customized boat shoes that we created using their website. You can also design your own and buy it for just $95. How fun is it to wear customized shoes that you’ve designed yourself! So they’re definitely worth the price.
- Dubarry. For boat shoes that are designed for comfort, this is the brand to go for. They have many different styles and awesome colors to choose from. The price ranges from $149 to $179.
We hope you found this guide useful, let us know in the comments about how you like to wear your boat shoes.
Eesha works as a freelance writer with an interest in fashion, lifestyle, and entertainment.